Washington Old Time Fiddlers Association
Fiddle Camp, Moses Lake, Washington
Please read the following message all the way through. It would be a good idea to print these pages and bring them with you!
The Fiddle Camp will be held at the Moses Lake Christian Academy, Moses Lake, WA. The address is 1475 Nelson Rd NE.
- Each individual is responsible to make his or her own arrangements for housing and meals during this week of July 16 through July 20, 2018. Tent and RV camping is available at the school. Tent camping is available in any of several grassy areas.
- You may arrive to set up beginning Saturday no earlier than 12pm.
- There will be several people from WOTFA at the school to facilitate the parking of RVs. Check in with them before you settle in. Anyone using a generator will be asked to camp in the asphalt parking lot. The exhaust damages the grass, and the fumes are quite toxic to some people. PLEASE NOTE: GENERATORS ARE TO BE USED FOR CHARGING YOUR BATTERY ONLY! YOU MAY NOT RUN THEM FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME.
Some of the hotels in Moses Lake are offering discounts if they know you’re a member of WOTFA and are here for the annual Fiddle Camp. Ask about that when you make your reservations.
- If you are taking a class that requires a music stand, you will need to bring your own. We do not have music stands available through the school.
- If you have an issue with the school chairs, you are welcome to bring your own, or bring a cushion.
- Please have your name on everything you bring into the classroom. As soon as you arrive at the school, sign in and pick up your name badge.
- EVERYONE MUST SIGN IN AND WEAR A NAME BADGE. NAME BADGES ARE REQUIRED AT ALL TIMES.
- We will begin registration Saturday from 4-6pm, July 14th and from 1-3pm Sunday, July 16th, so if you arrive on the weekend, please sign up before Monday morning. That will help reduce the congestion at the registration table on Monday morning. Registration needs to be completed BEFORE 9:00 AM MONDAY, when we all meet in the grassy courtyard.
Please note that anyone enrolled under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian present at the Fiddle Camp and those for whom parents are not present must bring an emergency medical treatment permission letter signed by a parent. This is a requirement.
If you need to cancel, you must notify me by regular mail or e-mail no later than Sunday, July 1, 2018. $25 of your tuition is NON-REFUNDABLE. There will be NO REFUNDS after July 1, 2018.
We’re all looking forward to another wonderful, fun-filled week. Travel safely, and we’ll see you in Moses Lake!
Tyler Hagood & Corrine Judd, 2018 Fiddle Camp Chairs
Lunch break each day is 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM. Refer to the Lunch and Break Schedules posted around the building, or check with your instructor. Each instructor has a copy of the schedule. There will be snacks available during the morning and afternoon breaks. Be sure you stock plenty of bottled water and/or drinks.
Monday through Thursday there will be mini-workshops held from 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM. Sign-up sheets will be posted in a hallway near the Snack Room. Mini-workshops will be held in the classrooms, and other areas of the school grounds. Those locations will be posted on the sign-up sheets.
There will be evening get-togethers in the Event Center or Grassy Courtyard. These are strictly fun times. It’s a great way to get acquainted with others attending the Fiddle Camp. There will be square and contra dancing on Monday & Tuesday evening from 7:00 PM until 9:00 PM, which will include waltzes, polkas, two-steps, etc. The band will be formed from the musicians attending the Fiddle Camp. Other evening activities include the usual band scramble and an advance band competition for the 2nd year. Jamming can occur in the classrooms Monday through Thursday as long as there are no classes or mini’s going on.
Please remember – NO FOOD OR DRINKS IN ANY OF THE CLASSROOMS AT ANY TIME. The only exception is capped, bottled water.
WOTFA State Fiddle Camp Rules & Guidelines 2018
- There is to be NO SMOKING on school property.
- There is NO FOOD allowed except in specified areas.
- NO DOGS, (except service dogs) allowed in the school buildings.
- Dogs must be on a leash at all times. Please clean up your doggie’s messes. Do not leave your dog in camp if he/she is a barker.
- Activities that pose a danger to others or potential damage to the school facilities and grounds are prohibited. Examples of this are skateboarding or riding bicycles inside the school, racing in the parking lot, activities that would damage the turf in the playing fields, flooding of the bathrooms, etc.
- Designated classrooms are normally available for open jamming during the evenings.
- Scheduling of school rooms or facilities after 5:00 p.m. for presenting information, training, or Fiddle Camps requires permission of the Fiddle Camp Chairs.
- Sales of products on school grounds should be conducted in designated areas.
- Sales of products by other than Fiddle Camp staff and instructors must be approved by the Fiddle Camp chairman. WOTFA will receive 10% of sales conducted at the Fiddle Camp.
- The school will be closed after 3:00 P.M except for Fiddle Camp related activities. bathrooms will be locked and unavailable by 10:00 PM in order to maintain security. Bathrooms are cleaned once daily by the custodians. Let’s do our part to keep them clean. After use, please leave them in the condition you would want for yourself.
- Showers will be limited to certain hours at the Gym next door. They are charging a $5/per day per person fee. They are also offering $10 all day gym pass where you can use the gym equipment as well. Please be respectful to the Gym Members as they share their space with us. Be sure to clean up after yourself.
- Showers are also available at the Fairgrounds again and you may use them as often as you need without charge. The Fiddle Camp has paid them in advance. Please be respectful of those camping there and keep noise to a minimum.
- The City of Moses Lake does not have a curfew, but we are in a residential area, so please be kind to the neighborhood. We are asking that all youth under the age of 18 be in their own camp area by 11:00 PM.
- Parents will be responsible for their children. Anyone under age 18 must have a parent or guardian with them.
- Attendees under 18 without a parent present should have a letter signed by a parent giving permission to administer medical care in the case of emergency. This is a requirement.
- Roadways between campers must be kept open for access.
- No charcoal barbecues in the grass areas. Camp stoves are okay if supported properly, up off the grass.
- Anyone needing to use a generator will be asked to park in the asphalt parking lot.
- If towing vehicle is taking up camp space, the owner could be asked to move it to the parking area.
- Please leave all valuables in your car under lock and key.
- Attendees are expected to behave with a spirit of fellowship and goodwill and in support of the mission and goals of the Association.
- Any reported unacceptable behavior will be reviewed and could be cause for expulsion from the Fiddle Camp.
Tyler Hagood & Corrine Judd, Updated July 8, 2018
Fiddle Camp Chairs